Is UGC NET tough?
Are you considering taking the UGC NET exam but unsure if it’s worth your time and effort? Do you also have this question in mind? Is UGC NET tough?
In This Article
The syllabus is vast and challenging; there is no doubt about it. But does that mean it’s impossible to crack the UGC NET test? Not necessarily! Anyone could crack this highly reputed NET exam with a good strategy, rigorous preparation, and commitment.
So, if you’re debating whether or not to take on this challenge of getting a Master’s degree while also preparing simultaneously for the UGC NET, read on and decide for yourself!
Let’s answer all your common questions regarding the difficulty level of this examination and provide some guidance on what it takes to pass the UGC NET Exam.
What is UGC NET Exam?
The UGC NET (University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test) exam is a highly respected test in India, gaining distinction for its mission to enable candidates to elevate their academic careers.
This examination is unique because, unlike typical course comprehension tests, it explores a candidate’s understanding of their chosen subject and capacity to conduct research.
The National Testing Agency administers the UGC NET exam, which thoroughly evaluates candidates’ postgraduate teaching and research aptitude.
Therefore, whether you’re eyeing a career as an assistant professor or are interested in PhD-level research programs from a prestigious Indian university, clearing the UGC NET exam is the only way out.
How to crack UGC NET Exam?
Planning for the UGC NET needs a well-thought-out plan and a strict schedule. The UGC NET exam is one of India’s most challenging entrance exams, so you need to do more than memorize the material.
To do well on this test, you must fully understand the pattern and syllabus, including general and subject-specific parts.
- Break up your syllabus into manageable chunks rather than stressing how long it is.
- A clear focus on ideas rather than memorization is crucial for answering application-based questions.
- Take a critical look at last year’s papers because they give you important information about how questions tend to change in each topic.
- Remember that practicing regularly is the best way to do well on the UGC NET exam.
UGC NET Exam Pattern for Paper 1 and Paper 2
The National Testing Agency (NTA) is in charge of administering the UGC NET test. The NTA has authorized the UGC NET Exam Pattern.
This test is a prerequisite for positions as an assistant professor and/or junior research fellow at Indian universities and colleges. Candidates qualifying only for an assistant professorship are not eligible to be considered for the JRF award.
Before 2019, candidates were required to appear for 1.5 hours each in UGC NET Papers 1 and 2. Later, the NTA combined the two exams into a single, three-hour sitting in 2019. Similar to the previous years, the UGC NET exam pattern will comprise two papers, Papers 1 and 2.
The test will be conducted online using computer-based testing, or CBT. Only Hindi and English versions of the exam paper will be available. NTA allows applicants to select a medium when filling out the UGC NET Application form.
The UGC NET exam comprises two papers:
- Paper I: Which tests teaching and research aptitude? Paper I is compulsory for all.
- Paper II: Applicants can choose a subject related to their Master’s degree.
- All questions will be objective-type, multiple-choice questions.
- The candidates will be given 150 questions they must answer in three hours.
- There will be no negative markings on the examination.
- There won’t be a break between the two papers throughout the three hours of the exam.