- Brand image denote the tangible (physical and functional) benefits and attributes of a brand.
- This is the also the main difference between “Brand Image” and “Brand Personality”, as the later denote emotional character and associations in consumers’ mind.
- Brand image is the overall impression in consumers’ mind that is formed from all sources. An image is formed about the brand on the basis of subjective perceptions of associations bundle that the consumers have about the brand.
- The idea behind brand image is that the consumer is not purchasing just the product/service but also the image associated with that product/service. Brand images can be strengthened using brand communications like advertising, packaging, word of mouth publicity, other promotional tools, etc.
- Brand images should be positive, unique and instant.
- Brand identity is a bundle of mental and functional associations with the brand. These associations are not necessarily “reasons-to-buy” but provide familiarity and differentiation to the consumers.
- These associations can include signature tune (Apple and Nokia), trademark colors (Blue color with Pepsi), logo (Nike), tagline (Think different) etc.
- An organization communicates its identity to the consumers through its branding and marketing strategies and responsible for creating a distinguished product with unique characteristics.
- Brand identity is the total proposal/promise that an organization makes to consumers. The brand can be perceived as a product, a personality, a set of values, and a position it occupies in consumer’s minds. Brand identity is all that an organization wants the brand to be considered as.
- Brand identity leads to brand loyalty, brand preference, high credibility, good prices and good financial returns.
Brand Identity v/s Brand Image